When are the auctions held?
General Estate Auctions are held every Monday for Antique, Retro and Contemporary Furniture, China, Glass, Collectables, Arts, Books and Ephemera.
Specialty Auctions are held Monthly and include Decorative Arts, Danish Contemporary, Vintage to Classic Car Auctions, Oceanic Art and Artefacts.
Estate Specialists and our service.
Scammell Auctions specialise in managing Estates and will assist you in coordinating every facet from the initial written appraisal to the packing and uplifting of household effects.
The following services are offered as part of our commission structure –
- Comprehensive and obligation free appraisal.
- Managing and coordinating independent carriers for the packing and uplift of effects (charges do apply to third party service providers – please see below).
- Full sorting, researching, assessing and listing of items for Auction.
- All items entered for Auction on our Global Auction management database.
- Each lot is photographed and displayed on our website.
- All items are included in our online Auction system Webcast”, allowing prospective buyers from Australia (and Internationally) to bid on your items at every Auction we hold. Scammell Auctions are the only Estate Auctioneer to use this technology in Australia.
- Comprehensive Vendor Auction Statement accompanying the vendor cheque. The vendor statement details each lot offered, price sold, commission charges and other charges (i.e. carriers invoice) and total payable.
When can I deliver items? - Items can be delivered every Wednesday for Auction, between 9am and 5pm. Alternative days by arrangement only. Special arrangements can be made for delivery outside these times if using “The Relocation Guys”.
Transport - We use and recommend “The Relocation Guys”, who can be contacted on 0413 450 184. The Relocation Guys will organise all your packing and moving requirements. Their full range of services also include short and medium term storage and rubbish removals. Please obtain a quote from the carriers directly.
Commission rate and other charges
Commission rate – 18% + GST (negotiable for large Estates)
Lot offering fee of $2 (inc of GST) per lot offered,
Other charges -
Dumping fee of $15 per item that is not saleable (inc GST)
Removal fee of 19.8% of the reserve/guide price or $15 (whichever is greater) per item withdrawn from auction after Thursday 5pm (inc GST)
Guides and Reserves
Guide prices will be accepted on any item valued for Auction over $200. Our valuers will assist you in setting reasonable and achievable price guides.
The Auctioneer has the discretion to accept an offer within 25% of the guide price i.e. guide of $400, auctioneer can accept $300 without consulting the vendor.
Items valued $200 or less will be offered and sold at the discretion of the Auctioneer for “best price” at the first auction.
Unsold items will automatically be re-entered into the next auction and the guide price will be reduced by 25%. If the new adjusted guide is $200 or less then the item will be offered and sold at best price.
Reserves can be accepted on items valued over $500.
The reserve price is fixed and firm, offers will NOT be submitted below the reserve price.
Reserve is valid for one offering only, and will convert to a guide for the subsequent auctions.
When are the vendors paid?
Vendor Cheques, for our Monday Auctions are made available for collection on the Friday of the sale week, between 8.30am – 10.30am, Saturday 9am – 12 noon, Monday and Tuesday 8.30am –5pm.
Cheques not collected by Tuesday night will be posted last mail Wednesday.
Specialty Auction cheques are available the week following the Auction.
Unsold items and those not suitable.
Items not suitable – Items delivered, either in person or by carrier that are not suitable for auction will be disposed of at your cost, which will be deducted from the proceeds of sale.
Items not suitable include
- Whitegoods over 10years old,
- Microwaves (unless new in box),
- CRT TV (analogue),
- Contemporary Furniture that is scratched/damaged/broken and unsaleable,
- all baby goods,
- safety equipment (inc helmets etc),
- any electrical item over 10 years old (with the exception of collectable radios, clocks etc),
- stained/damaged rugs, carpet,
- mattress (unless “in new” condition),
- bedding (with the exception of vintage bedspreads)
- office desks (with the exception of antique or antique style),
- chipped or broken china and glassware,
- magazines and
- general kitchenware.
Unsold items - Will be automatically entered into the next appropriate Auction. Should you wish to withdraw an unsold item from Auction, you will need to remove the item(s) by Thursday 5pm. Items not removed by this time will automatically be entered for the next Auction. If an item is removed after Thursday 5pm you will be charged a removal fee of 20.9% of the guide price.
Unsold items will be offered a maximum of three (3) auctions with a guide (reserve/guide). The fourth auction the item will be offered and sold at the auctioneers discretion for best price. The onus is upon the vendor to remove the item prior to the fourth auction.